Instant Pot User Manual
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
When using pressure cookers, basic safety precautions should always be followed.
- Do not touch hot surfaces of pressure cooker. Use side handles for carrying.
- Do not place the cooker on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- Intended for countertop use only.
- Do not use pressure cooker for anything other than intended use.
- Never deep fry or pressure fry in the cooker with oil.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not use cooker in electrical systems other than 110-120V~/60Hz for North America. Instant Pot User Manual
- Do not operate cooker with damaged cord or plug, or after the cooker malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner.
- Do not open the unit until the cooker has cooled and all internal pressure has been released. If the float valve is still up or the lid is difficult to turn, it is an indication that the cooker is still pressurized – do not force it open. Please see “Getting Started” pages 12-14.
- For all pressure cooking programs, the total amount of precooked food and liquid in the inner pot should not pass the 2/3 line. When cooking food that expands during cooking such as rice, beans or vegetables, food should not pass the 1/2 line. Overfilling may risk clogging the steam release resulting in excess pressure. This may also cause leakage, personal injuries, or damage to the cooker. These fill level warnings do not apply to non-pressure cooking programs.
- Make sure the steam release handle is in the Sealing position during all pressure cooking programs.
- This appliance should not be used by children; by individuals whose physical, sensory or mental abilities prevent safe use of the appliance; or by individuals with limited knowledge of how to use a pressure cooker. Close supervision is needed when using this appliance near these individuals.
- Do not immerse the cooker base in water. To protect against electrical shock, do not immerse the cord, power plug, or cooker in any liquid.
- Always attach plug to the cooker first, then plug cord into the wall outlet. To disconnect, press Cancel, then remove plug from the wall outlet. Unplug from power outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow the cooker to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning.
- For household use only. Not intended for outdoor use. Instant Pot User Manual
- Do not attempt to move the pressure cooker when it is operating under pressure or containing hot liquids.
- This appliance cooks under pressure. Improper use may result in scalding injuries. Make certain the lid is properly closed before operating. Caution: To reduce the risk of electric shock, cook only in removable containers. See “Getting Started” pages 12-14.
- Use of accessories and parts that are not branded Instant Pot® nor recommended by the Instant Pot® Company may cause the cooker to malfunction. Cook only in Instant Pot® stainless steel or ceramic non-stick inner pots for best results. Other brands may not have the correct curvature to match the heating element.
- Be aware that certain foods, such as applesauce, cranberries, pearl barley, oatmeal or other cereals, split peas, noodles, macaroni, rhubarb, or spaghetti can foam, froth, sputter, and clog the steam release. These foods should not be cooked under pressure cooking settings unless as directed in Instant Pot® cooker recipes.
- Always check the steam release valve, float valve and anti-block shield for clogging before use.
- Always make sure the sealing ring rack is completely set in the groove on the inside of the sealing ring. Instant Pot User Manual
WARNING: Spilled food can cause serious burns. Keep appliance and cord away from children. Never drape cord over edge of counter, never use power outlet below counter, and never use with an extension cord. Instant Pot User Manual
Special Cord Set Instructions
As per UL safety requirements, a short power supply cord (0.6 m to 0.9 m) is provided to reduce the hazards resulting from entanglement and tripping.
This appliance has a 3-prong grounding plug. To reduce the risk of electric shock, plug the power cord into a grounded (earthed) electrical outlet that is easily accessible. Instant Pot User Manual
Control and Features
Control Panel for the DUO Series
The control panel of your Instant Pot® DUO Mini/60/80 consists of a LED display, cooking program keys, operation keys, +/- keys to adjust time, and a Keep Warm and Cancel key. Instant Pot User Manual
Instant Pot® is a programmed smart cooker that has preset cooking times for different food ingredients and cooking methods. It also remembers your most recent settings per cooking program for a more personalized cooking experience. To return to the factory default settings, press Cancel to return the cooker to standby mode displaying OFF, 1) for individual cooking programs reset, press and hold the cooking program key until the cooker beeps, or 2) for global reset, press and hold the Cancel key until the cooker beeps. Instant Pot User Manual
Cooking Program Options
Pressure Cooking Programs:
Working Pressure: Low Pressure: 5.8 – 7.2 psi (40 – 50 kPa); High Pressure: 10.2 – 11.6 psi (70 – 80 kPa) Pressure Release Pressure Limit: 15.22psi (105kPa)
Working Temperature: 115°C – 118°C (239°F ~ 244°F) Instant Pot User Manual
Non-Pressure Cooking Programs:
Keep Warm function: 63 – 78°C (145 ~ 172°F);
Slow Cook function: Less mode: 82-87.8°C / 180-190°F; Normal mode: 87.8-93°C / 190-200°F;
More mode: 93-99°C / 200-210°F;
Sauté function: Less mode: 135 -150°C (275 -302°F); Normal mode: 160 -176°C (320 -349°F);
More mode: 175 – 210°C (347 – 410°F) Instant Pot User Manual
- Read warning cards and warning labels. Remove all packaging materials and removable warning cards from the cooker and accessories.
- Clean the inner pot, lid and accessories with water and detergent before the first use.
- Install the condensation collector at the rear of the cooker by aligning the top of the collector with the guides on the cooker and press in.
- Place the steam release handle on the lid.
The steam release handle does not lock tight into the lid but will fit loosely. Instant Pot User Manual
Before using your Instant Pot®:
- To remove the lid, hold the handle, turn the lid counterclockwise and lift.
- Remove the inner pot from the cooker.
- Add food and liquids to the inner pot as the recipe directs. If required, place the steam rack on the bottom of the inner pot first. Always add at least 18 fl oz / 500 mL of liquid for minimum liquid requirement. See “Cooking and Safety Tips” on page 22. Instant Pot User Manual
- Wipe the outside of the inner pot dry. Make sure there is no food debris on the bottom side of the inner pot nor on the cooking element.
- Put the inner pot back into the cooker. Rotate slightly to ensure that it is seated correctly.
- Make sure the sealing ring rack is completely set in the groove on the inside of the sealing ring. Ensure there is no deformation on the sealing ring rack. Do not attempt to repair a deformed ring rack. Please contact the customer care team. Instant Pot User Manual
- To place lid, reverse Step 1. Place the lid on the cooker, align the ▼ mark on the lid with the (unlock) mark and turn clockwise to the (lock) mark.
- Make sure the steam release valve, float valve and anti-block shield are clean and free of debris.
- After putting the lid on, make sure the float valve on lid top drops down. Instant Pot User Manual
- Do not put the lid on for the Sauté program.
Initial Test Run
To familiarize yourself with the Instant Pot® and check if the cooker is working properly: Instant Pot User Manual
- Add 3 measuring cups of water into the inner pot (~25 fl oz / 750 mL).
- Close the lid. Turn the steam release handle to Sealing position.
- Press the Steam button and press the + / – keys to adjust time to 2 minutes. Instant Pot User Manual
The preheating cycle will start after 10 seconds and the cooker with display On. Traces of steam will release until the float valve pops up. The Steam program will begin when working pressure is reached. After the cooking cycle has completed, the cooker will beep and switch to Keep Warm mode if the Auto Keep Warm function is ON.
*If you have any questions or concerns, please refer to the troubleshooting guide on pages 24 – 26, or call the customer care team. Contact information on page 24.* Instant Pot User Manual
The following are all pressure cooking programs: Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry1 , Rice, Multigrain1 , Porridge, Steam, and Pressure Cook.
- Do not fill the inner pot more than 2/3 full. For food that expands during cooking such as rice or dried vegetables, do not fill the inner pot more than 1/2 full.
- After the cooking process has started, you can press Cancel at any time to end the program. The cooker then goes to standby mode. Instant Pot User Manual
- Follow the steps in “Getting Started” pages 12 – 14. Instant Pot User Manual
- Position the steam release handle to Sealing.
- Connect the power cord. The LED displays OFF, indicating that the cooker is in standby mode.
- Select a pressure cooking program: Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry1 , Rice, Multigrain1 , Porridge, Steam, or Pressure Cook. 1 Poultry and Multigrain cooking programs are not available on DUO Mini. Instant Pot User Manual
- Optionally, personalize pressure cooking programs as follows:
- 10 seconds after choosing the settings, the cooker beeps 3 times and displays On to indicate that the cooker has entered preheating cycle. If using Delay Start, the Delay Start light indicator will light up and 10 seconds later, the delay timer will start to count down. When count down is finished, cooking will start and LED will display On for the preheating cycle. Depending on the amount of food and its temperature, the preheating cycle can last from a few minutes to 40 minutes or more . As the cooker heats up and pressure builds, the float valve rises. When working pressure is reached, the cooker enters the pressure cooking cycle and displays the remaining cooking time.
When the cooking cycle has finished, the cooker beeps and enters the Keep Warm mode if the Auto Keep Warm function is turned ON. The LED displays the elapsed time (such as L0:02). If Cancel is not pressed, the cooker will turn OFF after 10 hours.
**Users can switch Auto Keep Warm ON/OFF, adjust pressure level and cooking time at any time during the cooking process. Instant Pot User Manual
- Release the pressure using one of the following methods (refer to recipe):
Natural Release: Allow the cooker to cool down naturally until the float valve drops down. This may take 10 to 40 minutes, or even more, depending on the amount of food in the cooker. Place a wet towel on the metal part of the lid to speed up cooling (do not cover the steam release).
Quick Release: Turn the steam release handle to the Venting position to let steam out until the float valve drops down. Never pull out the steam release handle while releasing steam, as escaping steam is extremely hot and can cause scalding. When cooking food with large liquid volume or starch content, immediately turn the steam release handle back to the Sealing position at the first sign of spattering. Quick Release should ALWAYS be closely attended.
- Press Cancel. The LED displays OFF, indicating that the cooker is in standby mode. Open the lid. Make sure the float valve is down before opening the lid. Instant Pot User Manual
The following are all non-pressure cooking programs: Sauté, Slow Cook, Yogurt and Keep Warm. Instant Pot User Manual
- Connect the power cord. The LED displays OFF, indicating that the cooker is on standby.
- Select the Sauté program.
- To change the cooking temperature, press Sauté key repeatedly to toggle between Less (for simmering or thickening sauce), Normal (for regular browning), and More (for stir-frying or blackening meat). 10 seconds after choosing the settings, the cooking process will start. The cooker will beep 3 times and the LED displays On to indicate that the cooker has entered the preheating cycle. When the working temperature is reached, the LED displays Hot. Instant Pot User Manual
- Add food to the inner pot and sauté.
- When you have finished sautéing the food, press Cancel. The LED displays OFF, indicating that the cooker is in standby mode.
- Do not use the pressure cooker lid during Sauté program. There will be warning alerts and the display will flash. A glass lid with a venting hole may be used.
- As a safety precaution, the cooker automatically enters standby mode after 30 minutes if you have not pressed Cancel.
- Instant Pot User Manual You may use the Instant Pot® glass lid as an option. If using the pressure cooking lid, make sure the steam release handle is turned to Venting.
- Connect the power cord. The LED displays OFF, indicating that the cooker is on standby.
- Select the Slow Cook program. Optionally, modify the slow cooking program as follows:
- 10 seconds after choosing the settings, the cooking program will start. The cooker will beep 3 times and the cooker will enter the cooking cycle. The LED will display the remaining cooking time. If using Delay Start, the light indicator will light up and 10 seconds later, the delay timer will start to count down. Cooking begins when count down is finished. Instant Pot User Manual
- When the cooking cycle has finished, the cooker will beep and enter the Keep Warm mode if the Keep Warm program is turned ON. The LED will display the elapsed time (such as L0:02). If Cancel is not pressed, the cooker will turn OFF after 10 hours.
- If the lid is on, remove it by turning counterclockwise and lifting.
- Press Cancel. The LED displays OFF, indicating that the cooker is in standby mode. Instant Pot User Manual
- Pasteurize Milk
a) Add milk to the inner pot.
b) Select the Yogurt program.
c) Press the Yogurt key repeatedly to select the More mode. 10 seconds after choosing the settings, the heating process will begin. The cooker will beep 3 times and the LED will display boiL. Instant Pot User Manual
d) When finished, the cooker will beep and the LED will display Yogt.
If making yogurt in smaller containers: add 1 cup/250 ml of water to the inner pot, place the steam rack in the inner pot and put the containers on top of the steam rack, close the lid, select the Steam program and use the + / – buttons to set time to 2 minutes. Make sure the steam release handle is in Sealing position when running the Steam program as this is a pressure cooking program. When complete, use the natural release method (page
17) and continue with steps 2 to 4.
*The advantages of pasteurizing milk are to 1) kill pathogens and harmful bacteria, and 2) denature milk proteins for easier absorption by the body
- Cool Milk
a) Remove the inner pot and place it on a wire rack.
b) Allow the milk to cool to 115°F/46°C. Test the milk temperature with a thermometer.
- Add Starter Culture Instant Pot User Manual
a) Add starter culture to the warm milk in the inner pot.
b) Replace the inner pot and close the lid.
The steam release handle can be left in Venting or Sealing position.
- Ferment Yogurt
a) Select the Yogurt program and adjust to Normal mode.
b) Press + / – to set fermentation time.
c) When finished, the cooker will beep and the LED will display Yogt. Instant Pot User Manual
Cooking and Safety Tips
- Extreme caution should be taken when moving the steam release handle to the Venting position. Keep hands and face away from the steam release openings. Failure to comply may result in scalding or serious injury. Instant Pot User Manual
- Do not attempt to open the lid until pressure inside the cooker is completely released. As a safety feature, until the float valve drops down the lid is locked and cannot be opened. Do not force lid open.
- When opening the lid, the inner pot may adhere to the lid. This is caused by vacuum due to cooling. Make sure the steam release handle is in the Venting position and all the steam is released. Instant Pot User Manual
- If the float valve is stuck, move the steam release handle to the Venting position. Once all the steam is released, push the float valve down with a pen or long utensil.
- Always add at least 18 fl oz. / 500 ml of water or other liquids so enough steam can be generated to cook under pressure. These include cooking sauces, wine, beer, stocks, juices of fruits and vegetables. Oils, oil-based sauces and thick cooking sauces do not have enough water content and will not account for the required liquid volume.
- Time to pressure and cooking time will vary according to the temperature and quantity of the ingredients. Food that is cold or frozen will take longer to cook than food that is at room temperature. Instant Pot User Manual
- When using the Delay Start program, allow sufficient cooling down time before serving.
- The Delay Start program is not recommended for porridge, oatmeal or other foamy and thick liquids. Cooking progresses should be monitored when cooking these foods.
Care and Cleaning
Unplug your Instant Pot® and let it cool to room temperature before cleaning. Instant Pot User Manual
- All Instant Pot® inner pots, pressure cooker lids, glass lids, and accessories are dishwasher safe.
- Remove the inner pot and lid, and wash with detergent. Rinse with clear water and wipe dry with a soft cloth.
- Wipe the inner cooker base rim and slot with dry cloth to prevent rusting of the exterior cooker rim.
- Remove the sealing ring and anti-block shield from the underside of the lid. Wash with warm, soapy water, rinse with clear water and wipe dry with a soft cloth.
- The sealing ring must always be properly positioned on the underside of the lid.
- Clean the outer body with a damp soft cloth or sponge.
- Never use harsh chemical detergents, scouring pads or powders on any of the parts or components.
- Periodically check that the steam release valve and float valve are in good working order and free of debris.Instant Pot User Manual
If you experience any problems with the cooker, need technical assistance or product return information, please contact the Instant Pot support team using the methods below:
- Create a support ticket: www.InstantPot.com/support/
- Email: [email protected]
- Call 1-800-828-7280 ext 2 for the customer care team. Instant Pot User Manual
You can also find tips, videos and FAQs on www.InstantPot.com/faq/
The issues in the following tables do not always indicate a faulty cooker. Please examine the cooker carefully before contacting the support team.
Instant Pot User Manual Warranty
This Limited Warranty is effective for one year from the date of original consumer purchase. Proof of original purchase date and, if requested by an authorized Instant Pot Company (“IPC”) representative, return of your appliance as IPC may direct at IPC’s expense, is required to obtain service under this Limited Warranty.
When this appliance is operated and maintained in accordance with written instructions attached to or furnished with the product, Instant Pot Company will pay for either (i) repair labor to correct defects in materials or workmanship that existed when this appliance was purchased or (ii), at its sole and exclusive discretion, replace the appliance for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. In the event that your appliance is replaced, the Limited Warranty on the replacement appliance will expire at the original date (i.e. 12 months from the original purchase date). Instant Pot User Manual
This Limited Warranty extends only to the original purchaser and use of the appliance in the United States of America and Canada. This warranty does not cover units that are used outside of the United States of America and Canada.
Any modification or attempted modification to your appliance may interfere with the safe operation of the appliance and will void this Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty does not apply in respect of any appliance or any part thereof that has been altered or modified from its factory settings unless such alterations or modifications were expressly authorized by an IPC representative. Instant Pot User Manual
IPC is not responsible for shipping costs related to warranty service, save and except for shipping costs associated with the return of your appliance as provided herein.
Limitation and Exclusions
The liability of IPC, if any, for any allegedly defective appliance or part shall in no circumstances exceed the purchase price of a comparable replacement appliance.
This Limited Warranty does not cover: Instant Pot User Manual
- Damage resulting from accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, unreasonable use, use contrary to the operating instructions, normal wear and tear, commercial use, improper assembly, disassembly, failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance, fire, flood, acts of God or repair by anyone unless directed by an Instant Pot Representative.
- Repairs where your appliance is used for other than normal, single-family household use or when it is used in a manner that is contrary to published user or operator instructions. Instant Pot User Manual
- Use of unauthorized parts and accessories, or repairs to parts and systems resulting from unauthorized repairs or modifications made to this appliance.
The cost of repair or replacement under these excluded circumstances shall be borne by you. Instant Pot User Manual
Disclaimer of Implied Warranties
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE HEREBY LIMITED TO ONE YEAR OR THE SHORTEST PERIOD ALLOWED BY LAW. Some states or provinces do not allow limitations to the duration of implied warranties of merchantability or fitness, so this limitation may not apply to you.
Disclaimer of Representations Outside of Warranty
IPC makes no representation about the quality, durability, or need for service or repair of this appliance other than the representations contained in this warranty. Instant Pot User Manual
Limitation of Remedies; Exclusion of Incidental and Consequential Damage
YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE PRODUCT REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED HEREIN. IPC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE APPLIANCE OR DAMAGES WITH RESPECT TO ANY ECONOMIC LOSS, PERSONAL INJURY, LOSS OF PROPERTY, LOSS OF REVENUES OR PROFITS, LOSS OF ENJOYMENT OR USE, COSTS OF REMOVAL, INSTALLATION OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF WHATSOEVER NATURE.
You the buyer may have other rights and remedies under your state’s or province’s applicable laws, which are in addition to any right or remedy which may be available under this limited warranty. Instant Pot User Manual
Warranty Registration and Service
Please visit http://instantpot.com/support/register/ to register your new Instant Pot and validate your warranty within thirty (30) days of purchase. You will be asked to provide the store name, date of purchase and model number (found on the base of your cooker) along with your name and address. The registration will enable us to keep you up to date with product developments, recipes and contact you in the unlikely event of a product safety notification. By registering, you acknowledge to have read and understood the instructions for use, and warnings set forth in the accompanying instructions. Instant Pot User Manual
To obtain service under this warranty, please call the Customer Care Team at 1-800-828-7280. If IPC is unable to resolve the problem, you may be asked to send your appliance to the Appliance Service Department for quality inspection. IPC is not responsible for shipping costs related to warranty service, save and except for shipping costs associated with the return of your appliance from Canada or within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia of the United States of America, as provided herein. When returning your appliance, please include your name, address, phone number, proof of the original purchase date as well as a description of the problem you are encountering with the appliance. Instant Pot User Manual
Instant Pot® Company
11 – 300 Earl Grey Dr. Suite 383
Telephone: +1-800-828-7280 ext 2
US and Canada E-mail: [email protected]
To enhance your experience with Instant Pot, join the official Instant Pot Community Instant Pot User Manual
Instant Pot® Free Recipe App & More
Copyright© Instant Pot® Company