Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer,
Black User Manual
This is a Listed appliance. The following important safeguards are recommended by most portable appliance manufacturers.
To reduce the risk of personal injury or property damage, when using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following:
- Read all instructions.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles.
- To protect against electrical shock or burns, do not immerse unit, cord, or plug in water or other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Do not let children handle or put electrical cords or plugs in their mouths.
- Always attach magnetic plug end to appliance first, then plug cord into the wall outlet. To disconnect, remove plug from wall outlet, then from appliance.
- Unplug from outlet and deep fryer when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or in the event the appliance malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner. Return the appliance to the Presto Factory Service Department for examination, repair, or electrical or mechanical adjustment.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner or in a heated oven.
- It is recommended that this fryer not be moved when it contains hot oil or other hot liquid. If it must be moved when it contains hot oil or other hot liquid, use extreme caution.
- Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This product is for household use Only.
IMPORTANT CORD INFORMATION
A short power supply cord is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord. DO NOT USE WITH AN EXTENSION CORD.
Do not allow the cord to run underneath or around the unit. The magnetic cord may not detach easily if the cord is positioned in this fashion.
Important Fryer Guidelines
- Use deep fryer only on a clean, dry, level, stable, and heat-resistant surface, away from countertop edge.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children. Hot oil can cause serious and painful burns.
- To avoid the risk of electrocution or severe disfiguring electrical burns, do not let children handle or put electrical cords or plugs in their mouths.
- To avoid the risk of electrocution or electrical burns, do not let the cord or plug come in contact with water or other liquid.
- Use only a good, reliable brand of vegetable shortening or cooking oil for deep frying. Deep frying foods in butter, margarine, olive oil, or animal fat is not recommended because of lower smoking temperatures.
- CAUTION: OIL AND WATER DO NOT MIX. The combination can be dangerous. When the oil is heated, any water droplets in the oil super-heat, becoming a volatile steam that can cause hot oil to spatter, boil over, or even erupt out of the deep fryer. Hot oil can cause severe burns!
Accordingly, before pouring oil into a fryer be sure that the fryer is COMPLETELY dry. Before placing food in deep fryer, always remove ice crystals and excess moisture from food by patting dry with toweling.
- Use caution when deep frying doughs, such as beignets, donuts, dumplings, hushpuppies, and fritters. These foods may develop air bubbles during heating, which may burst and cause burns. Use a slotted spoon or tongs rather than a fork when turning food during frying and when removing food from oil.
- Use caution when deep frying flour tortillas. Flour tortillas contain air bubbles. During deep frying, oil can become trapped within these bubbles. If not properly drained the bubbles can burst and cause burns. Therefore, after deep frying tortillas, carefully raise them out of the cooking oil and allow oil to drain from the tortillas for approximately 30 seconds.
- Always remove plug from wall outlet and then from deep fryer when unit is not in use.
- Always allow fryer to cool completely before removing oil and before cleaning.
How To Use
Before using for the first time, wash scoop and interior of unit with warm, sudsy water and dry thoroughly. Never immerse unit in water or other liquid, or wash in dishwasher.
- Remove plastic cover. Unit must be cool before cover can be replaced for storage of oil.
- Check the rubber pads on the bottom of the fryer before each use to be sure they are free of oil or other debris. Wipe pads with warm, soapy water if necessary. Then dry thoroughly.
- Place deep fryer on a clean, dry, level, stable, and heat-resistant surface in center of countertop.
- Fill unit with cooking oil or shortening up to oil level line, which is located on inside of unit (Fig. A). Never use more than four, 8-ounce cups of cooking oil or 2 pounds of shortening. Never use any cover while oil is heating or while frying food.
- Attach the cord to the unit by aligning the magnetic plug end of the cord assembly with the two electrical pins located in the recessed area of the fryer base (Fig. B). When properly aligned, the plug will magnetically attach itself to the appliance. For proper connection, the magnetic plug end must be parallel with the countertop (Fig. C).
Important: The magnetic cord was designed to detach easily from the fryer. As a result, if it is bumped or touched during use, it could possibly detach causing the unit to stop heating. Avoid contact with cord during operation. If contact occurs, verify that the cord is still properly connected.
- Plug cord into a 120 volt wall outlet. The unit is now “ON” and will remain on until unplugged.
- Preheat oil for 15 minutes. Note: Occasionally you may hear a pop or clicking sound while the fryer is preheating. This is normal and a sign of fast heat up. You may also notice this sound as the unit cools down.
- Gently place 1 to 4 cups of food into unit. Use scoop to lessen spattering of hot oil.
Note: If the plug accidentally detaches from the fryer during operation, reattach the cord following step 5 on page 2. Use extreme
- Occasionally stir food gently while frying to prevent foods from sticking together. Use scoop provided or other heat resistant utensil.
- When food reaches desired brownness, lift and drain with scoop (see below for recommended cooking times). Place food on absorbent paper. Season to taste. Repeat steps 8, 9, and 10 for additional servings.
CAUTION: To avoid risk of burns, do not touch the aluminum portion of the handle when unit is hot. Only the plastic grip in the center portion of the handle may be grasped.
Care and Cleaning
- Remove plug from wall outlet and then from deep fryer. Then, allow oil and fryer to cool completely in a safe place.
- After unit and oil have cooled completely, empty cooking oil, or cover unit with storage lid.
- Wash unit and scoop with warm water and mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly. Never immerse unit in water or other liquid, or wash in dishwasher.
- Dry fryer completely. Even a few drops of water in the oil can super heat and turn into a volatile steam that may cause hot oil to spatter, boil over, or even erupt out of the deep fryer.
- Do not use steel wool scouring pads or abrasive kitchen cleaners on the nonstick finish.
- Occasionally clean the interior of unit with a commercial cleanser designed for nonstick surfaces, such as dip-it* destainer. Follow manufacturer’s directions.
- Store the cord in a clean, dry location away from metal objects. Always check the magnetic plug before use to assure metal items have not become attached.
For foods listed below, use either prepared frozen foods or your own favorite recipes. Fry 1 to 4 cups of food at a time. The following deep frying times are approximate. Fried foods are generally done when they are well browned.
|Fried Chicken (using crispy coating recipe on page 4)|
|Fish Sticks||4- 6|
|French Fried Shrimp||4- 8|
|Frozen Egg Rolls||4-5|
|Onion Rings* Potatoes||2-3|
|Frozen French Fries||8-10|
*These foods are best when fried in very small quantities to maintain their individual shapes. Fry approximately 3 to 4 pieces at a time.
Sift together 1 cup flour, 1½ teaspoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Add 2 beaten eggs and ½ cup milk. Stir until batter is smooth. If a thinner batter is desired, add more milk.
Thoroughly combine 1½ cups flour and 1½ cups beer in a large bowl. Cover and allow batter to sit at room temperature for 3 hours or longer.
*dip-it is a registered trademark of Ecolab, Inc
Cut fruit into bite-size pieces. Leave small fruit whole. Canned fruit should be well drained. Coat fruit with batter. Fry until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
FRENCH FRIED CHEESE
Coat cheese curds or cheese cubes with milk or beer batter. Fry until golden brown, approximately 1 minute.
½ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
Salt and Pepper
Beat milk and egg together. Combine flour and seasonings. Dip food into milk-egg mixture, then roll in seasoned flour. Fry food according to chart.
- If unit fails to preheat or if the cooking process stops, check cord assembly to assure plug is properly attached to the appliance (see Fig. C on page 2).
- When using the fryer for the first time, a slight odor or light smoking may occur as manufacturing residue evaporates. This is normal during initial use.
- Before deep frying, always remove excess moisture or ice crystals from food by patting dry with toweling. Even small amounts of moisture may cause the oil to spatter, pop, boil over, or erupt.
- When preparing your favorite recipes, fry 1 to 4 cups food, in unit, at a time. If too much food is fried at the same time, the food will not get crisp.
- For breading or coating foods, use commercial breading, finely ground bread or cracker crumbs, corn meal, mixture of corn meal and flour, pancake mix, or prepared bread mixes.
- Use only heat resistant utensils in the fryer as most plastic or rubber will become damaged from the hot oil. Do not leave metal utensils in the fryer as they will become hot.
- After each use, strain oil through a filter or a double thickness of cheesecloth to remove the accumulated residue.
- It is time to replace the cooking oil if any of the following occur:
The oil is dark in color.
The oil has an unpleasant odor.
The oil smokes when it is heated.
The oil foams excessively during frying.
Consumer Service Information
If you have any questions regarding the operation of your Presto® appliance or need parts for your appliance, contact us by any of these methods:
- Call 1-800-877-0441 weekdays 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (Central Time).
- Email us at our website www.GoPresto.com
- Write: National Presto Industries, Inc.
Consumer Service Department
3925 N. Hastings Way, Eau Claire, WI 54703-3703
When contacting the consumer service department, please indicate the model number and the 4 digit date code which are stamped in the bottom of the deep fryer.
Please record this information:
Model Number __________________ Date Code ___________________ Date Purchased ________________________
Inquiries will be answered promptly by telephone, email, or letter. When emailing or writing, please include a phone number and a time when you can be reached during weekdays if possible.
Any maintenance required for this product, other than normal household care and cleaning should be performed by our Factory Service Department. Be sure to indicate date of purchase and a description of defect when sending an appliance for repair. Send appliances for repair to:
Canton Sales and Storage Company
Presto Factory Service Dept., 555 Matthews Dr., Canton, MS 39046-0529
The Presto Factory Service Department is equipped to service all PRESTO® appliances and supply genuine PRESTO® parts. Genuine PRESTO® replacement parts are manufactured to the same exacting quality standards as PRESTO® appliances and are engineered specifically to function properly with its appliances. Presto can only guarantee the quality and performance of genuine Presto® parts. “Look-alikes” might not be of the same quality or function in the same manner. To ensure that you are buying genuine PRESTO® replacement parts, look for the PRESTO® trademark.
Download Manual PDF
Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer,
Black User Manual PDF Download