Vox Deep fryer FT5410 INSTRUCTION MANUAL
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed,
including the following:
- Read all instructions.
- Do not touch hot surface. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against electric shock do not immerse cord, plugs, or housing in water or other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool down before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
- Do not put the appliance on a soft working surface or a desktop covered with table cloth, make sure the appliance is working on a rigid surface.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or after the appliance malfunctions, or has been damaged in any manner. Return appliance to the nearest authorized service facility for examination, repair or adjustment.
- The use of attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not use this appliance when missing oil reservoir, oil and any other materials, or the oil is not enough.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving fryer containing hot oil.
- Make sure handles are properly assembled to basket and locked in place. See detailed assembly instructions.
- Before use, always ensure that the oil reservoir is positioned correctly.
- Never connect the fryer to the electricity supply without placing oil in the oil reservoir first.
- The oil in the oil reservoir will be still hot after it is switched off. Never attempt to move your fryer until it is completely cool down, lift the oil reservoir using the handles.
- Though the detachable oil reservoir can be completely immersed in water and clean, it must be thoroughly dried before next use to prevent electric shock.
- Never overfill the fryer with oil. Fill only between the minimum and maximum levels, as indicated inside the oil reservoir.
- Do not add food with ice crystals or if it is wet to the hot oil.
- This appliance is not intended for used by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliances by a person responsible for their safety.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
- On completion of frying, always raise the basket and wait a few seconds to allow steam pressure to subside.
- Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Store the appliance indoors to prevent electronic parts failure.
- WARNING: Serious hot oil burns may result from a deep fryer being pulled off a countertop. Do not allow the power cord to hang over the edge of a counter where it may be grabbed by children or become entangled with the user.
- The appliance is not intended to be operated by means of an external timer or a separate remote-control system.
- This appliance is intended to be used in household and similar applications such as:
– Staff kitchen areas in shops, offices and other working environments;
– Farm houses;
– By clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
– Bed and breakfast type environments.
- Save these instructions.
The Temperature Control knob
The temperature control knob turns the deep fryer on and sets the desired temperature for frying.
The Power Light
The power light illuminates when the deep fryer is on.
The Ready Light
The ready light will cycle on and off several times during frying. This indicates that the temperature is thermostatically maintained.
USING FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Remove all the packaging materials, labels and/or stickers from the deep fryer.
WARNING: Do not plug in the deep fryer when the control panel is not installed in the deep fryer body. Only plug in the deep fryer when the unit is fully assembled and the heating element is immersed in oil.
WARNING: Do not immerse the control panel, cord or plug in water.
WARNING: This unit should not be used to boil water.
- Lift the control panel with heating element out of its slots by pulling it up from the bottom with one hand while holding the body of the deep fryer with your other hand.
- Remove the oil reservoir from the body of the deep fryer.
- Wash the oil reservoir and the frying basket with hot water, a nonabrasive sponge, and dishwashing liquid or other non-poisonous detergent. Dry thoroughly before use.
NOTE: The oil reservoir, frying basket, frying basket handle, permanent filter and the lid can be washed in warm soap water.
WARNING: Do not immerse the control panel, power cord, or plugs into liquid of any kind.
ASSEMBLING THE DEEP FRYER
- Place the oil reservoir into the deep fryer housing.
- Insert the guide edges on the control panel into the guide rails mounted on the metal(Fig.1).
- Slide the guide edges down as far as they can go.
NOTE: The deep fryer has an automatic safety switch to ensure that the unit will not operate unless the control panel has been inserted securely into the guide rails on the body of the deep fryer.
- Attach the fryer basket handle to the fryer basket by squeezing the handle bars together and inserting them into the metal bracket on the basket. Make sure that the end of the bars is inserted into the bracket holes. Lift the handle up to lock in place (Fig. 2).
USING THE DEEP FRYER
WARNING: Never plug in the deep fryer before filling the oil reservoir with oil. Always make sure that the control panel is securely in place in the housing of the deep fryer and that the heating element is inside the oil in the oil reservoir before plugging in.
- Pour cooking oil into the oil reservoir making sure that it is between the “Min” and “Max” filling lines in the oil container. Do not under fill or overfill. The oil levels must be maintained between the minimum (2.5 liters) and the maximum levels (3.5 liters) marked inside the oil container.
- You can use blended vegetable oil, corn oil, or canola oil. Do not use olive oil, margarine, lard or drippings. Never mix old and new oil together or different oils and fat.
- If you want to use solid fat, you must melt it firstly, the details refer to the section of “TIPS FOR USING SOLID FAT”.
- Place the cover onto the deep fryer.
- Insert the plug into the electrical wall outlet. The power light will illuminate.
CAUTION: Never plug in the control panel when it is not assembled to the fryer body. Do not immerse the control panel, power cord or plug in water or any other liquid.
- Turn the temperature control knob to the desired temperature.
- The ready light will illuminate when the set temperature is reached.
- Do not fill the frying basket when it is immersed in the hot oil. Place the food in the frying basket. Do not drop the food into the hot cooking oil. Do not overfill it and the maximum load is 250g. For optimum results and shorter frying time, fry smaller quantities.
WARNING: When frying frozen foods, remove the frying basket from the deep fryer before filling because oil will spatter and cause burns.
CAUTION: When frying frozen foods such as French Fries, you should not exceed the
“Max” fill line on the fryer basket. Clean off any ice from frozen food prior to frying. Failure to do so may cause fryer to overflow when food is placed in oil.
- Immerse the frying basket into the oil reservoir carefully so that you do not splash the oil.
- Replace the deep fryer lid on the deep fryer while it is frying.
- When the cooking period is over, Turn the temperature control to the “OFF” position and remove the plug from the electrical wall outlet.
- Carefully remove the deep fryer lid lifting it up away from you to allow the steam to escape before removing the lid completely. Keep your face away from the top of the appliance to avoid burns caused by escaping steam.
- Lift up the frying basket by the handle and place it on the oil container to allow the oil to drain.
- Once the oil has drained from the frying basket, the basket may be lifted off and the food served or placed in a dish.
WARNING: Always let the deep fryer cool completely (approximately 2 hours) before cleaning or storing. Never carry or move the appliance with hot oil inside.
CAUTION: The metal surfaces of the deep fryer become hot during use. Do not touch the sides of the appliance while it is use.
- Always use the frying basket to fry food.
- Always close the lid during frying. Replace the lid carefully.
- When the oil is pre-heated, the ready indicator light will come on indicating that the desired temperature is reached.
- Slowly lower the frying basket into the hot oil. Lowering the frying basket too quickly can result in the oil overflowing and splashing.
- It is normal for steam to escape through the sides of the lid while frying.
- Avoid standing too close to the deep fryer while it is working.
- Do not mix new and old oil together.
- Replace oil regularly. In general, oil will be tainted fast when frying food containing a lot of protein, (such as poultry, meat and fish). When oil is used mainly to fry potatoes and is filtered after each use, it can be used up to 8 to 10 times, but do not use the same oil for more than 6 months.
- Always replace all oil as soon as it starts foaming when heated or when color becomes dark or when it has a rancid smell or taste or becomes syrupy.
- Make sure that the food to be fried is dry. Remove loose ice from frozen food before frying.
- To cook evenly, pieces should be the same size and thickness. Thicker pieces will take longer to cook.
- The following cooking times reflect only the approximate time needed to fry one basket 1/2 full. The exact time may be different depending on actual quantity, personal cooking preferences, size and thickness of pieces, etc.
In general, use lower settings for delicate foods (vegetables, fish) and higher settings for frozen foods, French Fries and chicken.
|French fries||6-9 minutes||190℃|
|Fish fillets||3-5 minutes||150℃|
|Chicken fingers||6-8 minutes||170℃|
|Chicken pieces||13-20 minutes||170℃|
|Fried Zucchini||3 minutes||150℃|
|Fried mushrooms||3 minutes||150℃|
|Onion rings||3 minutes||150℃|
|Apple Beignets||4 minutes||170℃|
TIPS FOR USING SOLID FAT:
WARNING: Do not put solid shortening in the oil reservoir or the frying basket.
- If using solid vegetable shortening, melt it first in a separate container and then very carefully pour the melted fat into the oil reservoir.
- Previously used solid vegetable shortening which has curdled and hardened in the oil reservoir should be removed from the oil reservoir and melted in a separate pan before reusing.
WARNING: If you try to melt the solidified fat in the oil reservoir, there is a risk of hot melted fat suddenly sputtering from below through the solid top layer of fat.
Use only the following procedure
When melting solid fat in your deep fryer:
- Make sure the fat is at room temperature. If the fat is cold, then there is a greater risk of splashing.
- Using a fork, carefully make some holes in the fat.
- Make sure the lid is always securely closed while the fat is melting.
- Set the temperature control knob to 150℃.
IMPORTANT: The power light will illuminate once plugging the power outlet. The ready light will illuminate when the fat or oil in the reservoir has reached the selected
FILTERING & CHANGING THE OIL
ATTENTION: Make sure the deep fryer is unplugged from the electrical socket and the oil has cooled (approximately 2 hours) before changing the oil, or cleaning and storing the deep fryer.
NOTE: The oil does not need to be changed after each use. In general, the oil will be tainted rather quickly when frying food containing a lot of protein (such as poultry, meat or fish). When oil is mainly used to fry potatoes and is filtered after each use, it can be used 8 to 10 times. However, do not use the same oil for longer than 6 months.
To Filter the Oil:
- Make sure the oil has cooled (approximately 2 hours) and then empty the oil from the oil reservoir into another container or bottle. (Fig.3)
- Wash and dry the oil reservoir and frying basket.
- Refill the oil reservoir with the oil by pouring the oil through a wire strainer or paper filter. (Fig. 4)
To ensure many years of service from your appliance, clean your deep fryer after every use.
WARNING: Always remove the plug from the electrical wall outlet before cleaning. Allow the deep fryer and the oil to cool completely (approximately 2 hours) before cleaning.
- Never immerse the control panel, cord or plug in water or any other liquid.
- Do not place the control panel, cord or plug in the dishwasher.
- Clean the control panel with a damp cloth only.
- The oil reservoir, frying basket can be washed on the top rack of a dishwasher.
- The deep fryer lid can be washed in warm soapy water. Do not put the body of the deep fryer in the liquid or dishwasher.
- To clean the permanent filter, remove it from the cover and wash it in hot soapy water. Rinse and dry well before re-inserting it into the deep fryer cover. Replace the filter
CAUTION: Do not clean the permanent filter in the dishwasher.
THE RESET FEATURE
Your deep fryer is equipped with a reset feature. If for some reason the deep fryer stops heating, the reason may be that the reset switch has tripped.
To reset the deep fryer:
- Unplug the appliance from the electrical wall outlet.
- Let the appliance and the oil in the oil reservoir cool completely. vox
- After the appliance has cooled completely, lift the control panel and using the tip of a ball point pen or pencil, push the thermostat reset button that is located on the inside of the control panel (Fig. 5)
- Re-assemble the control panel to the housing of the deep fryer and then you may resume frying. Fig.5Reset button Reset button
|The fryer is not operating||1. The control assembly is not installed correctly.
2. The plug is not connected to the electrical wall outlet.
3. The electrical outlet is not energized.
4. The reset switch has tripped.
|1. Re-attach the control panel assembly
2. Insert the plug into the electrical wall outlet.
3. Reset circuit breaker or replace fuse.
4. Turn the appliance off and let it
cool completely. Then remove the control panel and press the thermostat reset button.
|Oil is spilling out of the deep fryer||1. Too much oil in the oil reservoir.
2. The food basket if overfilled.
3. Oil has been used too often and is foaming.
|1. Turn the deep fryer off. Let the oil cool completely and remove some of the excess oil.
2. Remove some of the food from the basket.
3. Turn the deep fryer off. Let the oil cool completely and refill the oil reservoir with new oil.
|Food is tasting soggy or greasy||1. Oil is not hot enough.
2. The food basket is overfilled.
|1. Adjust the temperature control knob to appropriate temperature for food being fried.
2. Remove some of the food from the basket.
|Food not cooked completely||1. Food pieces too large.
2. Cooking time too short.
|1. Cut the food into smaller pieces.
2. Continue frying and check the process continually.
|The cooking oil is foaming or emitting smoke||1. The oil has been used too often.||1. Let the oil cool completely and replace with new oil.|
ENVIRONMENT FRIENDLY DISPOSAL
You can help protect the environment! Please remember to respect the local regulations: hand in the non-working electrical equipment to an appropriate waste disposal center.
Download Manual PDF
Vox Deep fryer FT5410 INSTRUCTION MANUAL PDF Download