RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation
Technical training seminars are available through Rice Lake Weighing Systems. Course descriptions and dates can be viewed at www.ricelake.com or obtained by calling 715-234-9171 and asking for the training department
@ 2011 Rice Lake Weighing Systems. All rights reserved. Specifications subject to change without notice.
Series 140-10-7N, software revision 11300 September 2011
The Rice Lake Platform Fitness Scale is ideal for use in fitness centers, wrestling and boxing facilities, and weight management facilities. The scale is durable and is designed to provide accurate, reliable and repeatable weight measurements and has features that enable a fast and convenient weighing process. The Platform Fitness Scale is an NTEP-certified legal-for-trade device that provides the highest possible accuracy when weight is a critical factor.
Internet This manual can be viewed and downloaded from the Rice Lake Weighing Systems web site at www.ricelake.com/health. Technical information on this product and other medical products are available on the Rice Lake Weighing Systems web site. Rice Lake Weighing Systems is an ISO 9001 registered company.
To prevent injury to individuals and damage to your scale, please follow these instructions carefully RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation:
- Do not transport the scale while the platform is loaded.
- Do not drop the scale or subject it to violent shocks
- For accurate weighing, the scale must be placed on a flat, stable surface.
- For accurate weighing, verify proper operation according to the procedure described in this manual
- Do not use around flammable liquids
- Operation at other voltages and frequencies than specified could damage equipment RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
2.0 Scale Assembly
2.1 Unpacking Your Scale
Place the unopened box in an open area that has ample room for unpacking the scale. Parts contained in the shipping box include:
- The scale
- This manual
- The indicator
- AC adaptor (located in white box)
If the Platform Fitness Scale must be returned for modification, calibration or repair, it must be properly packed with sufficient packing materials. Whenever possible, use the original carton for shipping the scale back RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
Damage caused by improper packaging is not covered by the warranty.
2.3 Setting Up Your Scale
Use the following steps to set up the Rice Lake Platform Fitness Scale.
- Remove the scale out of the packaging material that it came in and move it into the area where the weighing process will occur.
- To check for scale alignment, put the scale on a flat surface and look at the round spirit level on the base of the scale. The scale is aligned when the air bubble is immediately in the center of the circle. If the air bubble is not centered, unscrew and adjust the scale legs until the air bubble is It’s recommended to place the scale on a hard, level surface for the most accurate weighments. Thin carpeting is fine but not recommended RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
AC Power Connections
The Rice Lake Platform Fitness Scale has a 120 VAC adaptor or 230 VAC adaptor to use when power is readily available. The AC power adaptor plugs into the back of the indicator as shown in Figure 2-1.
The AC adaptor, when not in use, plugs into the back housing of the indicator. Figure 2-1 shows that location RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
The Rice Lake Platform Fitness Scale is capable of running its internal sealed lead-acid rechargeable battery if no additional power source is available. Battery life is approximately 75 hours. If the LO Bat indicator is showing on the display, recharge the battery or connect the scale to an AC power source as soon as possible for accurate weighing RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
When the AC adaptor is connected to a power source, the rechargeable battery goes into recharge mode.
To maintain battery longevity we recommend you charge it on a regular basis rather than waiting until it is fully discharged.
The LED indicator light on the back of the scale housing will illuminate red during the charging period, and change over to green when the battery becomes fully charged.
Load Cell Connections
To gain access to the load cell connection point, remove the four back retaining screws and back cover as shown in Figure 2-1. Figure 2-2 illustrates where the load cell connection point is.
3.0 Scale Operation
The display has various front panel keys. They are shown below.
Use the following steps to weigh a person.
- Press the On-Off/Zero key to turn on the scale and 0 will appear on the display.
- Ask the person to step onto the The display shows the person’s weight, and the Lb or Kg annunciator is lit when the weight is stable.
If a tare value is not entered, the Gross annunciator will be lit. If a tare value is entered, the Net annunciator will be lit.
- To change the display from Kg to Lb and vice-versa, press the Kg-Lb key
- To turn off the scale, press and hold the On-Off/Zero key until OFF appears on the display RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
3.2 Using the Tare Function
You can use the tare function for deducting extra weight (such as medical equipment) in a weighing operation. Use the following steps to use the tare function.
- With the scale set to 0, place the extra load on the scale. The display shows the weight with the Gross (G annunciator) lit.
- Press the TARE The display returns to 0.0 and the Net (N annunciator) appears on the left side of the display RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
If you remove the load from the scale. The weight of the load appears with a negative symbol to the left of it.
- Ask the person to step onto the scale with the The display then shows the person’s weight without the weight of the tare included.
- The weight of the tare remains stored in memory, so you can continue to weigh people who are carrying the same tare weight.
- To cancel the tare weight, press the TARE key a second The tare weight is cancelled and the scale returns to the gross mode/weight when the scale is turned off RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
4.0 RS-232 Communication
The scale comes with an RS-232 port which enables weight data to be transmitted to other equipment, such as a computer or printer. The RS-232 cable with DB-9 connector (PN 100719) is available from Rice Lake Weighing Systems. Figure 2-1 on page 2 shows where the RS-232 connection is RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
The RS-232 parameters are 9600 baud (selectable in the programming mode), 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no handshaking.
There are three methods of communication:
- Pushbutton keypad print
- Standard remote protocol
- Escape protocol
4.1 Pushbutton Keypad Print
With a stable, in-range weight, press and hold the Kg-Lb/Print key for at least three seconds, or until the scale emits two quick beeps. Note that if the scale does not beep after five seconds, then release the button as the weight was either in motion, or out of range RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
- The scale will send out the following 21 character string: xxxxxxxxx<SP>uu<SP>mmmmm<SP><CR><LF>
xxxxxxxxx is the weight with decimal point and ” – ” sign, if negative uu is the unit (lb or kg). mmmmm is the mode (gross or net)
-10 Lb net = <SP><SP><SP><SP>-10.0<SP>lb<SP><SP>Net<SP><SP><SP><CR><LF> 10 Lb gross = <SP><SP><SP><SP><SP>-10.0<SP>lb<SP>Gross<SP><CR><LF>
The following section provides instructions for maintaining and cleaning the Platform Fitness scale. Maintenance operations other than those described in this section should be performed by qualified service personnel.
5.1 Basic Maintenance
Before the first use of the scale and after periods of non-use, check the scale for proper operation and function. If the scale does not operate correctly, contact qualified service personnel RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
Go through the following steps for basic maintenance.
- Check the overall appearance of the entire scale for any obvious signs of damage, abuse, etc.
- Inspect the condition of the AC adaptor for cord cracking or fraying or for broken or bent prongs RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
Proper care and cleaning is essential to ensure a long life of accurate and effective operation. Before beginning the cleaning process, disconnect the scale from the AC power source.
- Clean all external surfaces with a clean, damp cloth or Mild soap and water solution may be used. Dry with a clean soft cloth.
- Do not immerse the scale into cleaning or other liquid solutions.
- Do not use Isopropyl alcohol or other solutions to clean the display surface RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
6.0 Rice Lake Platform Fitness Scale Specifications
120 VAC-9VDC-60Hz / 230 VAC-9VDC-50Hz
Sealed lead acid battery
Automatic power-off can be configured
RS-232 with RJ-45 jack
Selectable baud rate, default – 9600 8 bits
No parity 1 stop bit
50 to +104°F (14 to 40°C)
32 to 158°F (0 to 70°C)
85% relative humidity
Capacity and Graduation
Platform Fitness Scale
600 lb (270kg) 0.1 lb (0.05kg)
Certifications and Approvals
14.5 in W x 14 in L x 3 in H
RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation For More Information
- Rice Lake Platform Fitness Technical and Operating Instructions, PN 118606
- Platform Fitness 4 Color, PN 114089
Hours of Operation
Knowledgeable customer service representatives are available 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 12 noon on Saturday. (CST)
- Sales/Technical Support 800-472-6703
- Canadian and Mexican Customers 800-321-6703
- International 715-234-9171
For immediate assistance call toll-free 1-800-472-6703 (Canadian and Mexican customers please call 1-800-321-6703). If you are calling after standard business hours and have an urgent scale outage or emergency, press 1 to reach on-call personnel.
Fax Number 715-234-6967
- US sales and product information at [email protected]
- International (non-US) sales and product information at [email protected]
Rice Lake Weighing Systems
230 West Coleman Street Rice Lake, WI 54868 USA
Rice Lake Platform Fitness Scale Limited Warranty
Rice Lake Weighing Systems (RLWS) warrants that all RLWS equipment and systems properly installed by a Distributor or Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) will operate per written specifications as confirmed by the Distributor/OEM and accepted by RLWS. All systems and components are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for two years RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
RLWS warrants that the equipment sold hereunder will conform to the current written specifications authorized by RLWS. RLWS warrants the equipment against faulty workmanship and defective materials. If any equipment fails to conform to these warranties, RLWS will, at its option, repair or replace such goods returned within the warranty period subject to the following conditions RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation:
- Upon discovery by Buyer of such nonconformity, RLWS will be given prompt written notice with a detailed explanation of the alleged deficiencies.
- Individual electronic components returned to RLWS for warranty purposes must be packaged to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage in shipment. Packaging requirements are listed in a publication, Protecting Your Components From Static Damage in Shipment, available from RLWS Equipment Return Department RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
- Examination of such equipment by RLWS confirms that the nonconformity actually exists, and was not caused by accident, misuse, neglect, alteration, improper installation, improper repair or improper testing; RLWS shall be the sole judge of all alleged non-conformities.
- Such equipment has not been modified, altered, or changed by any person other than RLWS or its duly authorized repair agents.
- RLWS will have a reasonable time to repair or replace the defective Buyer is responsible for shipping charges both ways.
- In no event will RLWS be responsible for travel time or on-location repairs, including assembly or disassembly of equipment, nor will RLWS be liable for the cost of any repairs made by others RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
THESE WARRANTIES EXCLUDE ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NEITHER RLWS NOR DISTRIBUTOR WILL, IN ANY EVENT, BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
RLWS AND BUYER AGREE THAT RLWS’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE LIABILITY HEREUNDER IS LIMITED TO REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF SUCH GOODS. IN ACCEPTING THIS WARRANTY, THE BUYER WAIVES ANY AND ALL OTHER CLAIMS TO WARRANTY.
SHOULD THE SELLER BE OTHER THAN RLWS, THE BUYER AGREES TO LOOK ONLY TO THE SELLER FOR WARRANTY CLAIMS.
NO TERMS, CONDITIONS, UNDERSTANDING, OR AGREEMENTS PURPORTING TO MODIFY THE TERMS OF THIS WARRANTY SHALL HAVE ANY LEGAL EFFECT UNLESS MADE IN WRITING AND SIGNED BY A CORPORATE OFFICER OF RLWS AND THE BUYER RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation.
© 2011 Rice Lake Weighing Systems, Inc. Rice Lake, WI USA. All Rights Reserved.
RICE LAKE WEIGHING SYSTEMS • 230 WEST COLEMAN STREET • RICE LAKE, WISCONSIN 54868 • USA RICE LAKE 140-10-7N Series Operation
230 W. Coleman St. Rice Lake, WI 54868 USA U.S 800-472-6703 Canada/Mexico 800-321-6703
© 2010 Rice Lake Weighing Systems
PN 112174 09/11