Whynter AFR-425-PW EcoPure HEPA System Air
Purifier Pearl User Manual
Congratulations on your new Whynter product. To ensure proper operation, please read this Instruction Manual carefully before using this product. Keep this manual in a safe place for future reference.
Thank you for choosing the Whynter EcoPure HEPA System Air Purifier. Please follow the instructions provided in this user guide to obtain the very best performance from your air purifier. We trust that your Whynter EcoPure HEPA System Air Purifier will provide the performance and reliability that we stand for.
Your Whynter EcoPure HEPA System Air Purifier is the best way to improve the air quality for your general space such as a room, office and even a garage.
Please keep this user manual in a safe place for future reference.
This symbol on the product or its packaging indicates that the appliance cannot be treated as normal domestic trash, but must be handed in at a collection point for recycling electric and electronic appliances. Your contribution to the correct disposal of this product protects the environment.
Further information about the recycling of this product can be obtained from your local municipal authority.
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRICAL SHOCK, OR INJURY WHEN USING YOUR AIR PURIFIER, FOLLOW THESE BASIC PRECAUTIONS:
- Read all instructions before using the appliance.
- Never clean appliance parts with flammable fluids. The fumes can create a fire hazard. Do not use an excessively wet cloth, industrial solvents, and oil-based products to clean this appliance.
- Do not store or use gasoline or any other flammable vapors and liquids in the vicinity of this or any other appliance. The fumes can create a fire hazard.
- Do not abuse, sit on, or stand on the appliance.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
- If the power cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer or its service agent or a similarly qualified person in order to avoid a hazard.
- Use the air purifier only for its intended function. This appliance is designed for household, non-commercial use only. Any other use will void the warranty.
- To avoid the risk of shock, the product should never be used in bathrooms, shower rooms, or in any other steamy or wet areas.
- During installation, the power supply must not be excessively or dangerously bent or flattened.
- Do not tamper with controls.
- Make sure the power plug is placed fully and firm into the wall socket. If the wall receptacle you intend to use is not adequately grounded or protected by a time delay fuse or circuit breaker, have a qualified electrician install an outlet that is appropriate to local electrical codes and requirements.
- Do not use multiple socket or an extension cord as it may overheat and become a risk of fire.
- Make sure the power plug is clean before usage.
- Do not turn this appliance on and off by plugging and unplugging. Always use the ON/OFF switch.
- After turning the appliance off, please take the power plug out of the socket.
- Make sure hands are dry when connecting the power plug. The appliance is equipped with a two-prong grounded plug on the power cord for your protection. Never modify, remove or attempt to repair the power plug yourself.
- Do not repair, disassemble and/or modify the appliance by yourself.
- Always turn off the appliance when cleaning or replacing the air filter, and transporting.
- Transport the appliance in an upright position only.
- This appliance must be installed in an area protected from the element, such as wind, rain, water spray or drips.
- Always place the appliance on even and hard and level surface.
- Ensure objects are not obstructing the exhaust and air intake.
- Never insert your fingers or other objects into the air outlet.
- Do not operate the appliance without the air filter.
THE MANUFACTURER DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT FOLLOWED.,
INTRODUCTION / TECHNICAL DATA
HOW IT WORKS
The Whynter AFR-425-PW/SW air purifier utilizes a complete 5-layer purification system which includes a Pre-Filter, 2-in-1 Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA filter, Photocatalyst filter and UV Bulb. This air purifier not only traps dust and dirt, it also destroys allergens such as dust mites, pollen and pet epithelia. It kills over 99% of viruses, over 98% of bacteria and over 94% of mold and fungus.
The conveniently compact size allows the Whynter AFR-425-PW/SW air purifier to be moved from room to room or from a home to the office as needed. With an effective range of 550 square feet, it is powerful enough to clean the air in any room.
** Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA Filter comes in a 2-in-1 Filter Pack
Touch to turn the air purifier on and off
Touch to turn Timer on and off
- When the air purifier is ON, touch the Timer icon to activate auto-stop. The air purifier can be set to turn off automatically in 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours, which will be indicated every time the Timer icon is pressed. To cancel the delayed switch off function, keep pressing the Timer icon until the indicator light goes away. If cancelled, the unit will operate continuously.
Fan Speed icon
Touch to change fan speed
- The air purifier’s fan speed can be changed from “1” to “6”, where “1” is the lowest fan speed setting and “6” is the highest fan setting.
Quick Smoke Removal mode
Touch to activate Smoke Removal mode
- In this mode, the unit operates on the highest fan speed for maximum purification.
UV Bulb icon
Touch to turn UV Bulb on and off
- Ultraviolet light possesses just the right amount of energy to break organic molecular bonds. As micro-organisms pass by the UV rays radiated from the ultraviolet bulb, this bond breakage translates into cellular or genetic damage for micro-organisms, such as germs, viruses, bacteria, fungi (like molds), etc. This results in the destruction of the micro-organisms.
Air Quality Filter icon
- The Home icon indicates the quality of air
GREEN – Good air quality
BLUE – Fair air quality
RED – Poor air quality
- The Check Filter icon indicates that the 2- in-1 Activated Carbon Filter & HEPA filter needs to be replaced.
Touch to activate Automatic mode
- In this mode, the unit operates in a fully automatic operation that ensures hassle free functioning. The air purifier measures the air quality in the room and automatically selects the appropriate speed setting to guarantee the best possible air quality.
Touch to activate Sleep mode
- In this mode, the air purifier operates at the lowest fan speed and dimmed lights, to allow you to sleep undisturbed. The purifier switches to lower activity level, the fan speed and noise level are reduced and the energy consumption is minimized.
FILTRATION PROCESS / INSTALLATION
1st Stage – Pre-Filter
The washable pre-filter removes large particles such as dust, pet hair and dander, fungus and mold.
2nd Stage – HEPA Filter
High Efficiency Particulate Arresting (HEPA) filters are designed to remove 99.97% of all air pollutants that are as small as 0.3 micrometers such as pollen, allergens and dust mites. For reference, 1 micrometer is 1/100th the width of a human hair. HEPA filter has much higher filter effectiveness than compared to electrostatic/ionic type air purifier and does not emit potentially harmful ozone.
3rd Stage – Activated Carbon Filter
Also called the activated charcoal is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for absorption of airborne chemicals, gases and odor. It eliminates and removes chemical fumes, toxic gases, smoke, pet and other odors.
4th Stage – Photocatalyst
Photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) is not a filtering technology, as it does not trap or remove particles. It eliminates and kills 99% of organic contaminants such viruses, mold and bacteria by completely oxidize and degrade organic contaminants. Helps to potentially reduce the spread of influenza and other airborne illnesses.
5th Stage—UV Bulb
Ultraviolet germicidal UV bulb (UV light wavelength: 365nm) is commonly used for sterilization, to kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses. It breaks down volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as odors and gases like carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide.
The best location to install the air purifier is opposite a window or a door, this creates optimal air circulation within the room. If it is used in an air-conditioned room, place the air purifier opposite the air conditioner, this creates optimal air circulation within the room.
- Keep a distance of at least 3 feet of space between the air purifier and any equipment which emits electric waves such as televisions, radios or wave clocks.
- Ensure that there is at least a 6” clearance around the appliance. This allows for adequate ventilation.
INSTALLATION / INITIAL SETUP
The Whynter EcoPure HEPA System Air Purifier is designed for residential use only. To maintain the quality of the filters, they are packaged in plastic. Remove all packaging material from the installed filters before turning on the power. Please make sure that the air purifier is switched off.
- Remove the front panel by lifting from the bottom and pulling up.
- Pull out the 2-in-1 Activated Carbon and HEPA Filter and Photocatalyst Filter.
- Remove and discard packaging materials.
- Install the Photocatalyst Filter by securely pushing into the air purifier with the pull string facing outward.
- Install the 2-in-1 Activated Carbon and HEPA Filter with the HEPA Filter placed in front and pull string facing outward.
Note: The unit will not operate if the 2-in-1 Activated Carbon and HEPA Filter is not installed properly.
- Attach the Pre-Filter on the Velcro® strips, which can be located on the 2-in1 Activated Carbon and HEPA Filter borders.
- Reattach the front cover. Insert the top tabs first.
- Push the lower part of the front cover to secure.
- Plug the unit in and touch Power icon to turn the air purifier on.
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
To maintain the performance of the air purifier, cleaning unit regularly and replacing the filter when needed is highly recommended.
CLEANING THE AIR QUALITY SENSOR
The Air Quality Sensor can be located on the right side of the unit. For best performance, clean the sensor each time you replace the 2-in-1 Activated Carbon and HEPA Filter.
- To clean the sensor, make sure that the air purifier is switched off.
- Use a damp cotton swab and wipe the sensor, as shown.
- Dry the sensor with the other end of the cotton swab.
REPLACING 2-in-1 ACTIVATED CARBON AND HEPA FILTER
The recommended change schedule for your 2-in-1 filter pack is every 4 to 6 months under normal air quality conditions or when the icon illuminates on the control panel..
Note: The 2-in-1 ACTIVATED CARBON AND HEPA FILTER is not washable.
- Power off the air purifier.
- Remove the front cover and washable pre-filter.
- Replace the used filter with a new 2-in-1 Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA filter. Re-attach the prefilter and replace front cover.
- Plug in and turn on unit. Touch and hold the Sleep icon for 5 seconds to reset the Air Quality Filter indicator. The Check Filter indicator will turn off, the Home🏠 icon will illuminate and normal operation will resume.
- Dispose of the used 2-in-1 Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA filter. Do not reuse or wash.
CLEANING THE PRE-FILTER
The Pre-Filter should be cleaned according to the level of pollution in the air of the room.
- Remove the Pre-Filter from the air purifier.
- Gently wash under lukewarm water for 2 to 3 minutes or until it is completely clean. Clean the Pre-Filter with caution as the material is fragile. Rinse with clean tap water.
- Use a towel to remove any excess water from the Pre-Filter and allow to dry for 12 to 24 hours.
- When Pre-Filter is completely dry, place the Pre-filter back into the air purifier.
CLEANING THE PHOTOCATALYST FILTER
The Photocatalyst Filter should be cleaned every 6 months depending on the air quality.
Note: The Photocatalyst FIlter is not washable.
- Remove the front cover and the 2-in-1 Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA filter.
- Remove the Photocatalyst Filter and use a vacuum cleaner with a nozzle or brush attachment on a lower power setting to clean the dirt and dust from the filter.
REPLACING THE UV BULB
The UV bulb should be replaced every 6,000 working hours. This is indicated by the blinking of the UV Bulb icon on the control display. Please contact Whynter Service Department for purchase information of a new UV Bulb.
CLEANING THE AIR PURIFIER
The surface of the air purifier should be cleaned at least once a month or more often depending on the air quality.
- Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the external surfaces.
- Use a damp cloth to remove stubborn stains and dirt build up.
- Clean the air inlets and outlet with a dry cloth or a vacuum cleaner.
Many common air purifier problems are easily resolved. Try the troubleshooting suggestions below to see if the problems can be resolved before having to contact the service department.
|Unit does not start||
|Remote control does not work||
|The air purifier is noisy and vibrates||
|Unit always runs on the highest speeds when in Automatic Mode||
|Odor and smoke are not removed||
|Air does not flow from the unit||
|The filter replacement indicator remains on after the
filter is replaced
ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
This Whynter Air Purifier is warranted, to the original owner within the 48 continental states, for one year from the date of purchase against defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service. Should your Whynter Air Purifier prove defective within one year from the date of purchase, return the defective part or appliance, freight prepaid (within two months of purchase; after two months to one year, customer will be responsible for freight cost to Whynter’s service department), along with an explanation of the claim to Whynter LLC. Please package the Whynter Air Purifier carefully in its original packaging material to avoid damage in transit. Please retain the original box and packaging material. Under this warranty, Whynter will repair or replace any parts found defective. This warranty is not transferable. After the expiration of the warranty, the cost of labor and parts will be the responsibility of the original owner of the appliance.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
- Acts of God, such as fire, flood, hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes.
- Damage, accidental or otherwise, to the Whynter Air Purifier while in the possession of a consumer not caused by a defect in material or workmanship;
- Damage caused by consumer misuse, tampering, or failure to follow the care and special handling provisions in the instructions.
- Damage to the finish of the case, or other appearance parts caused by wear.
- Damage caused by repairs or alterations to the product by anyone other than authorized by the manufacturer.
- Freight and Insurance cost for the warranty service.
DISCLAIMER OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES; LIMITATION OF REMEDIES CUSTOMER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE PRODUCT REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED HEREIN. CLAIMS BASED ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO ONE YEAR OR THE SHORTEST PERIOD ALLOWED BY LAW, BUT NOT LESS THAN ONE YEAR. WHYNTER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SUCH AS PROPERTY DAMAGE AND INCIDENTAL EXPENSES RESULTING FROM ANY BREACH OF THIS WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY. SOME STATES AND PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSE- QUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR LIMITATIONS ON THE DURATION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WRITTEN WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.
To obtain service or information, contact
Whynter LLC via email at [email protected]ynter.com or call 866-WHYNTER
Product contents and specifications may change without notice.
Copyright © 2014 Whynter LLC
Download Manual PDF
Whynter AFR-425-PW EcoPure HEPA System Air
Purifier Pearl User Manual PDF Download