Gourmia GFD1950 Digital Food Dehydrator User Manual
© 2016 Gourmia
The Steelstone Group
All rights reserved. No portion of this manual may be reproduced by any means whatsoever without written permission from The Steelstone Group, except for the inclusion of quotations in a media review.
Although every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this manual, The Steelstone Group assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions. Nor is any liability assumed for damages resulting from the use of the information contained herein. Although every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in this manual is complete and accurate, The Steelstone Group is not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual consumer; further, The Steelstone Group shall not be held responsible for any loss or damage allegedly arising from any information or suggestion in this manual.
Enjoy Naturally Good-for-You
Dried Snacks & Treats from GOURMIA!
With the purchase of the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator, you are entering the sweet, healthful and delicious world of natural snacking! Now, you can prepare the fresh fruit, herbs, flowers, vegetables and meat you like and dehydrate them successfully with very little effort. Consider all the snacks you’d like to eat and enjoy … fruit leathers or roll-ups, earthy dried beets, sweet dried carrots, delectable dried pineapple, supersweet strawberries, and the list goes on and on! The results of natural dehydration are not only delicious, they are truly healthful and certainly less costly than purchased dried foods.
We are sure you and your family will love all the delicious trail mixes, granola, dried herbs, meat jerky and other dehydrated treats you will prepare in the Gourmia Cut+ Dry Dehydrator. It’s never been so easy!
The following pages of this manual give you full and complete instructions for all the functions and features of your Cut+ Dry Dehydrator. Inside these pages, you’ll find safety information, instructions for operating, assembly, cleaning and maintenance of your Cut+ Dry Dehydrator. You’ll also find helpful charts for preparing foods for dehydration, along with pre-treatment suggestions and helpful hints. Please read all safety instructions and complete directions carefully for safe usage at all times.
Thank you for your purchase! We hope you will enjoy all the innovative products brought to you by our family at Gourmia.
When operating this electric appliance, basic safety instructions should always be followed. Refer to the following for these instructions.
- READ ALL SAFETY & USAGE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING Cut+ Dry Dehydrator.
- EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION: Do not touch hot surfaces or trays while dehydrating. Burns may occur.
- AVOID ELECTRICAL SHOCK. DO NOT immerse cord, plug or the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator in water or other liquid.
- Use pot holders or oven mitts when handling the hot Drying Trays, Drip Pan, EasyVue Door, or Protective Food Sheet.
- UNPLUG Cut+ Dry Dehydrator from outlet when not in use or before cleaning. DO NOT add or remove parts or accessories while HOT. Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter or touch hot surfaces, including the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator.
- Children should not use Cut+ Dry Dehydrator unsupervised; close supervision is required when appliance is used near or with children.
- Never touch, cover or obstruct the Top Air Vent or Back Air Intake during or after operation. Hot air may cause burns. Keep children away from Vent and Intake.
- Operate the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator on a level surface well away from any hot gas or electrical burner, heat source, combustible spray cans or pressurized items.
- Do not operate the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator outdoors.
- Never operate the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator with a damaged cord or plug or one that has malfunctioned or been damaged in any way. Immediately contact Customer Service for analysis.
- DO NOT add unauthorized accessory attachments. Such use may result in electric shock, injury or fire.
- Use only factory cord supplied; NEVER add extension cords. When done using, switch control to OFF then pull plug from outlet.
- DO NOT operate the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator when empty.
- Do not use the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator for any use other than intended. Do not use on or near a stovetop or other heat source.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
Electrical Polarized Plug: This Cut + Dry Dehydrator has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electrical shock, the plug is intended to be used by inserting it into the electrical outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit securely into the outlet, turn the plug and re-insert. Do not modify this plug. If the plug does not fit the outlet securely, call a qualified electrician for assistance. DO NOT use this plug with extension cords of any kind.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONS
CUT+ DRY DEHYDRATOR HOUSING
(see reference A.) The Housing unit for the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator holds the Drying Trays in integrated slots, the Automatic Fan and other interior workings. It also contains the removable Protective Food Sheet and Drip Pan. It is specially designed to securely hold foods on trays while drying.
Internal Automatic Fan
(see reference B.) The Automatic Fan is housed internally and circulates warm air throughout the dehydrator for uniform drying. The Automatic Fan operates as directed by the LED Control Panel.
Top Air Vent
(see reference C.) Air is removed from the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator via the Top Air Vent. Do not obstruct or cover the vent during operation or while cooling after use.
Back Air Intake
(see reference D.) The Back Air Intake on the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator pulls air into the unit and pushes it through the dehydrator housing and trays. Do not obstruct or cover the Back Air Intake during operation or while cooling after use.
(fig.1 ) An important feature of the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator is the EasyVue Door, which is transparent for quick viewing. The process of drying can be observed without opening the door. This reduces the loss of heat and allows views of all tray levels.
CAUTION: Use caution when opening the door while food is drying. Although temperatures are not high, burns can occur from hot air. Use pot holders or mitts whlle opening and closing the EasyVue Door and handling Drying Trays. Opening the EasyVue Door may increase drying times.
(fig.2) There are 9 (nine) plastic Drying Trays included with the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator. These trays provide enough space to dry a substantial amount of food in one easy operation. The plastic trays are not designed to hold very heavy foods. They are perforated thoroughly to allow air to circulate for drying and to allow any moisture or debris to fall to the Drip Pan.
Protective Food Sheet
(fig.3) If foods are fragile or thinly sliced, the Protective Food Sheet with smaller perforations holds the food intact as it dries.
The Protective Food Sheet should be used exclusively when making fruit leathers or roll-ups, and it should always be used on top of a Drying Tray. Lightly coat the Protective Food Sheet with cooking spray before adding fruit or other fragile foods for drying. This will allow the food to slip easily off the Sheet after drying.
(fig.4) Although many foods will not drip moisture or debris while drying, the handy Drip Pan catches all so that interior cleaning is not needed.
LED CONTROL PANEL
The LED Control Panel holds all the electronic instructions for drying foods.
Follow the simple Step-by-Step instructions below to successfully start and complete the drying process.
Setting TIME and TEMP Settings to Start
- Place prepared foods on the Drying Trays (seep. 17 for food preparation tips). Do not overload the Drying Trays with food.
- Food should be placed on Drying Trays in single layers ONLY, not touching or overlapping in any way.
- Plug the polarized plug into a compatible outlet. A BEEP sound indicates the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator is receiving power.
- Slide the EasyVue Door down until it is securely closed.
- Press the ON/OFF Icon on the Control Panel. The drying process will begin right away. The Automatic Fan will start first. The interior Heating Element will begin automatically heating within 5 seconds.
- The LED Display on the Control Panel will display the default drying time of 10 hours (10:00).
- Press the TEMP Icon on the Control Panel. The LED Display will show the default TEMP of 158°F. The LED Display will then automatically return to display the drying time remaining.
Changing TIME and TEMP Settings while Drying
Occasionally, it may be appropriate to speed the drying process or slow it down, depending on how the drying is proceeding. In order to do so, follow the simple Step-by-Step instructions that follow.
NOTE: The Time remaining in the drying process is always shown on the LED Display during the process.
- To change the drying time, WHILE IN PROCESS, Press the + Icon to increase the time or the – Icon to decrease the time. The time will increase/decrease in 30 minute increments. When the new time is set, the LED Display will show the new drying time.
- To change the temperature, WHILE IN PROCESS, Press the TEMP Icon then Press the + Icon to increase the temp or the – Icon to decrease the temp. The temperature will increase/decrease in 9°F increments. When the new temperature is set, the LED Display will automatically return to indicate the remaining drying time.
NOTE: Verify the new temperature by pressing the TEMP Icon.
NOTE: To resetthe time and temperature to default time of 1 O hours
(1 0:00) and Temp of 158°F, Press the ON/OFF Icon to turn OFF. Press the ON/OFF Icon to turn ON. The Cut+ Dry Dehydrator will automatically return to
the default time and temperature.
When Drying Process is Complete
When the drying process is complete, the LED Display will indicate 0:00. The Heating Element will automatically turn off. The Automatic Fan will turn off after 1 0 seconds. The Cut + Dry Dehydrator will BEEP for 20 seconds as an indicator that the drying process is complete. The LED Display will display END.
Press the ON/OFF Icon on the Control Panel to turn OFF the dehydrator. Carefully remove food on trays, using pot holders or oven mitts.
Unplug power cord from the wall outlet.
BEFORE FIRST USE & MAINTENANCE
BEFORE FIRST USE
- Place the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator on a level, flat surface that is clean and dry.
- Ensure that the Cut + Dry Dehydrator is several inches away from obstructions, such as walls, cabinets, doors, and other appliances. Allow enough room above the Dehydrator so the EasyVue Door can be fully opened.
- Wash the Drying Trays and Protective Food Sheet in warm, sudsy water. Dry thoroughly.
- Use a soft damp cloth to clean the exterior of the Cut + Dry Dehydrator and EasyVue Door. Dry with a paper towel or soft cloth.
- Read safety instructions.
- Press the ON/OFF Icon to start the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator drying process. Dry the interior and Drying Trays for 30 minutes before adding food. This helps dry the interior for initial use. Smoke or odors are normal during the initial 30 minute drying time. Allow sufficient ventilation.
- Insert Drying Trays into the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator and enjoy!
ALWAYS allow the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator to cool completely before cleaning.
Unplug the Cut + Dry Dehydrator before cleaning.
After each use, clean and dry the Drying Trays and Protective Food Sheet in warm, soapy water. Use a damp cloth to clean the Cut+ Dry Dehydrator and
EasyVue Door, if needed. DO NOT immerse the dehydrator in water. Use nonabrasive cleaners or soft soap only.
Do not place Drying Trays or Protective Food Sheet in dishwasher.
FOOD SELECTION & PREPARATION
|Food||Drying Times||Temp (°F)||Preparation|
|Apples||6-7 hours||135-145||slice ¼-inch thick|
|Bananas||7-8 hours||135-145||slice ¼-inch thick|
|Blueberries||36-42 hours||135-145||arrange whole berries on trays|
|Grapes||42-48 hours||135-145||slice in half|
|Mango||4-6 hours||135-145||slice 1/8-inch thick|
|Pineapple||8-9 hours||135-145||slice ¼-inch thick|
|Raspberries||24-28 hours||135-145||arrange whole berries on trays|
|Strawberries||8-10 hours||135-145||slice ½-inch thick|
|Tomatoes||6-8 hours||135-145||slice ¼-inch thick|
|HERBS||4-6 hours||100-115||Arrange on trays|
|Beets||4-6 hours||125-140||Peel, slice 1/8-inch thick|
|Bell peppers||10-12 hours||125-140||Slice ¼-inch thick|
|Broccoli||4-5 hours||125-140||Break into florets|
|Carrots||4-6 hours||125-140||Peel, slice 1/8-inch thick|
|Celery||3-4 hours||125-140||Slice ¼-inch thick|
|Kale||4-5 hours||125-140||Arrange whole leaves on trays|
|Mushrooms||3-4 hours||125-140||Slice ¼-inch thick|
|Summer Squash||4-6 hours||125-140||Slice ¼-inch thick|
|Yams||4-5 hours||125-140||Slice ¼-inch thick|
MEAT, SEAFOOD & JERKY
|Beef, Poultry or Fish||5-6 hours||150-158||Trim fat off, slice ¼-inch thick|
The drying time for any food is dependent on several factors, including the thickness of the food, the amount of food in the dehydrator, the type of foods to be dried and the humidity levels of the weather. Because of these factors, you will want to occasionally check the food as it dries and determine whether or not it is ready to be removed.
One easy way to determine if food is dried is to place a piece in a small, selfsealing plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake it lightly. If moisture appears, the food is not ready to be removed.
Drying Fruit Hint& & Tip&
- Select fruit that is ripe; avoid fruit that is not yet ripe or over-ripe. If not yet ripe, the texture and taste may be unappealing; if over-ripe, the texture may be mushy and the flavor bland.
- Wash fruit just before drying to remove any debris or dirt.
- Do not use fruit that has blemishes, evidence of bug infestation or worms, or discoloration.
- Cut off parts of fruit that appear to be bruised or damaged in transit.
- Discard pits, stones, seeds and other inedible parts of the fruit.
- Peel fruit, if desired, or if rinds or peels lend a bitter or unappetizing taste or texture.
- Always peel waxed or sprayed fruit.
- Slice or cut fruit as desired (see notes following).
Cutting & Slicing Hint& & Tip&
Fruit can be peeled and quartered, such as apricots, or sliced thinly, whichever method is best suited to the fruit you are using. Cut plums, cherries, and peaches in half and remove the pits or stones. For fruit such as apples, peel and slice thinly. Consider pre-treatment for apples to make them especially appetizing (see the section following). When cutting fruit, the sizes should be uniform so that the drying is also uniform.
Pre-Treatment for Fruit:
Preparation for drying can include dipping fruit into their own juices, such as lemons, limes and other citrus fruit.
Sodium Bisulfite (food grade) can also be used. Use a ratio of 1 teaspoon to one quart of water. Dipping fruit into the water mixture preserves color and nutrients.
Steaming can also be used to set color in fruit. Steam only a few minutes over a gentle heat. Remove and cool completely. Dry with a paper towel and place in the dehydrator.
Drying Vegetables Hint& & Tip&
As with fruit, the critical component of drying vegetables is to start with the most fresh, crisp vegetables at the peak of ripeness.
- Unripe vegetables often have an extremely bitter, acidic flavor. Avoid any that are under-ripe or over-ripe for best flavor resu Its.
- Wash and dry vegetables just before drying to remove any debris or dirt.
- Do not use vegetables that have blemishes, evidence of bug infestation or worms, or discoloration.
- Cut off parts of vegetables that appear to be bruised or damaged in transit.
- Discard seeds, stems, rinds and other inedible parts of the vegetable.
- Peel vegetables; almost all vegetables should be peeled or cut before drying. Rinds or peels lend a bitter or unappetizing taste or texture.
- Slice or cut vegetables as desired (see notes following).
Cutting & Slicing Vegetables Hint& &Tip&
Create uniform pieces for drying; slice or quarter vegetables as needed. Pieces should be no larger than 1 ½ -2 inches in diameter. Cut thin slices of dense vegetables, such as potatoes and beets. Trim ends and leave some vegetables whole, such as asparagus and green beans.
Pre-treatment of vegetables is usually recommended and is best accomplished by blanching over boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, just long enough to set the color and remove acidic flavors. After blanching, arrange on the Drying Trays.
Drying Meat Hint& & Tip&
- To properly dry meat, ALWAYS use temperatures above 140°F to avoid potentially dangerous bacteria growth.
- Meat must be sliced very thinly to be dried. Partially freeze meat for up to 1 hour. Remove and slice thinly across the grain. Place on the Drying Trays right away. Do not crowd or overlap the meat slices.
- When done, test a piece of meat. It should crack when bent without snapping. Remove and cool completely on racks. Store in sealed plastic bags for up to 2 weeks or freeze until use.
- Seafood fillets should also be thinly sliced. If needed, partially freeze the fish first, then thinly slice with a sharp knife. Remove any bones, even small ones, for best results.
- Create a great low fatTeriyaki Chicken Jerky by thinly slicing chicken breasts and marinating in Teriyaki sauce for 1 hour prior to drying. Arrange on Drying Trays right away right away and dry at 145*F until crisp. When done, add crushed red pepper, chili powder or other spices to kick up the flavor.
Drying Nuts Hint& & Tip&
- To reduce enzymes, first soak raw nuts in plenty of water for 24 hours before drying (cashews for 6 hours). The nuts will expand in size – allow plenty of room in the jar or bowl. Drain the nuts and dry until crispy, about 10 hours. Store in air-tight containers.
Drying Herbs & Edible Flowers Hint& &Tip&
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water and gently dry. Remove any dead or discolored leaves. Spread on Drying Trays and dry for up to 8 hours. Remove and cool. Break or crush the herbs and store in a dark, cool place in a self-sealing container. Flowers can be dried in much the same way and used as garnishes or for flavoring.
CAUTION: Be confident that the flowers and herbs selected for drying are edible and pose no danger or threat if consumed. If in doubt, throw away the herbs or flowers.
GOURMIA IN YOUR KITCHEN!
Did you know? Although Gourmia is the new kid on the block, we’ve already established ourselves as one of the leading manufacturers of creative and innovative kitchen products.
Check out these new kitchen appliances and check our website often for new product release information@ www.gourmia.com
Why not Add these Best-selling
Appliances to your Kitchen!
WARRANTY & SERVICE
This Limited Warranty is for one full year from the date of purchase. It is applicable to the original purchaser only and is not transferable to a third party user. Repair or replacement of defective parts is solely at the seller’s discretion. In the event that repair isn’t possible, the seller will replace the product/part. If product repair/replacement won’t suffice, the seller has the option of refunding the cash value of the product or component returned.
Product defects not covered under the Warranty provisions include normal wear and damage incurred from use or accidental negligence, misuse of instruction specifications or repair by unauthorized parties. The manufacturing company is not liable for any incidental or consequential damages incurred by such circumstances.
For Customer Service or Questions, Please call: 888-552-0033
Download Manual PDF
Gourmia GFD1950 Digital Food Dehydrator
User Manual PDF Download