Hamilton Beach 7 Qt. Portable Slow Cooker Serves User Manual
READ BEFORE USE LIRE AVANT UTILISATION LEA ANTES DE USAR
Visit www.hamiltonbeach.com for our complete line of products and Use and Care Guides – as well as delicious recipes, tips, and to register your product online.
Rendez-vous sur www.hamiltonbeach.ca pour notre liste complète de produits et de nos manuels utilisateur – ainsi que no sdélicieuses recettes et nos conseils.
Please call us – our friendly associates are ready to help.
N’hésitez pas à nous appeler – nos associés s’empresseront de vous aider.
CAN : 1.800.267.2826
Por favor llámenos – nuestros amables representantes están listos para ayudar.
EE. UU.: 1.800.851.8900
MEX: 01 800 71 16 100
Le invitamos a leer cuidadosamente este instructivo antes de usar su aparato.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and/or injury to persons, including the following:
- Read all instructions.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory, or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they are closely supervised and instructed concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children. Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against electrical shock, do not immerse cord, plug, or base in water or other liquid.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged supply cord or plug, or after the appliance malfunctions or has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Supply cord replacement and repairs must be conducted by the manufacturer, its service agent, or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard. Call the provided customer service number for information on examination, repair, or adjustment.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces, including stove.
- Do not place removable crock or base on or near hot gas or an electric burner. Do not place slow cooker base in a heated oven.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids.
- To disconnect slow cooker, turn control to OFF ( ); then remove plug from wall outlet.
- CAUTION! To prevent damage or shock hazard, do not cook in base. Cook only in removable crock.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes, such as adding refrigerated foods into a heated removable crock.
- Intended for countertop use only.
- WARNING! Spilled food can cause serious burns. Keep appliance and cord away from children. Never drape cord over edge of counter, never use outlet below counter, and never use with an extension cord.
- Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Other Consumer Safety Information
This appliance is intended for household use only.
This appliance is only intended for the preparation, cooking, and serving of foods. This appliance is not intended for use with any nonfood materials or products.
⚠️WARNING Electrical Shock Hazard: This appliance is provided with a polarized plug (one wide blade) to reduce the risk of electric shock. The plug fits only one way into a polarized outlet. Do not defeat the safety purpose of the plug by modifying the plug in any way or by using an adapter. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, have an electrician replace the outlet. A short power-supply cord is used to reduce the risk resulting from it being grabbed by children, becoming entangled in, or tripping over a longer cord.
CROCK AND LID: PRECAUTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Please handle crock and lid carefully to ensure long life.
- Avoid sudden, extreme temperature changes. For example, do not place a hot lid or crock into cold water, or onto a wet surface.
- Avoid hitting crock or lid against faucet or other hard surfaces.
- Do not use crock or lid if chipped, cracked, or severely scratched.
- Do not use abrasive cleansers or metal scouring pads.
- The bottom of the crock is very rough and can damage the countertop. Use caution.
- The crock and lid can become very hot. Use caution. Do not place directly on any unprotected surface or countertop.
- The crock is microwave-safe and oven-proof, but never heat crock when empty. Never place crock on a burner or stove top.
- Do not place lid in a microwave oven, conventional oven, or on stove top.
REMOVING LID AND CROCK
When removing lid, tilt so that opening faces away from you to avoid being burned by steam.
The sides of the slow cooker’s base get very warm because the heating elements are located here. Use handles on base if necessary. Use oven mitts to remove crock.
Parts and Features
For best results, fill crock no more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the rim. If only half-filled, check for doneness 1 to 2 hours earlier than recipe states.
To order parts:
Mexico: 01 800 71 16 100
*On Select Models
Optional features on select models
How to Use Your Slow Cooker
BEFORE FIRST USE: Wash lid and crock in hot, soapy water. Rinse and dry.
- Plug into outlet.
- Add ingredients to slow cooker crock.
- Place lid on slow cooker.
- Turn control knob clockwise to LOW or HIGH. Set a kitchen timer according to the recipe.
- Turn control knob counterclockwise to OFF (O) when cooking is complete.
Using Keep Warm Setting
- Food must be hot enough to prevent bacterial growth before using Keep Warm setting.
- The Keep Warm setting should only be used after a recipe has been thoroughly cooked.
- Do not reheat food on Keep Warm setting.
- If food has been cooked and then refrigerated, reheat it on Low or High; then switch to Keep Warm.
Care and Cleaning
⚠️WARNING Electrical Shock Hazard. Disconnect power before cleaning. Do not immerse cord, plug, or base in any liquid.
- Remove crock and let cool.
- Wipe base with a soft damp cloth or sponge and dry.
- Wash lid and crock in hot, soapy water. Rinse and dry. The lid and crock may also be washed in a dishwasher. DO NOT use the “SANI” setting when washing in the dishwasher. “SANI” cycle temperatures could damage your product.
How to Transport Slow Cooker
(optional feature on select models)
The Lid Latch™ helps secure lid while moving or transporting.
Only use Lid Latch™ while cooking if lid has vent holes.
- Place latch into groove under one handle. Stretch to other side and secure in groove under other handle.
- Once attached, latch can also be crossed over knob to further secure lid.
- Move wire clips up onto lid and push down on clip latch to secure slow cooker for transporting.
Tips for Slow Cooking
- The crock should be at least half-filled for best results. If only halffilled, check for doneness 1 to 2 hours earlier than recipe states.
- Stirring is not necessary when slow cooking. Removing lid results in major heat loss and the cooking time may need to be extended. However, if cooking on HIGH, you may want to stir occasionally.
- Many recipes call for cooking all day. If your morning schedule doesn’t allow time to prepare a recipe, do it the night before. Place all ingredients in crock, cover with lid, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, simply place the crock in the slow cooker.
- When choosing recipes for this slow cooker, look for recipes that call for cooking on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours. Recipes calling for less cooking time should be checked periodically for doneness.
- Some foods are not suited for extended cooking in a slow cooker. Pasta, seafood, milk, cream, or sour cream should be added 2 hours before serving. Evaporated milk or condensed soups are perfect for slow cooking.
- The higher the fat content of meat, the less liquid is needed. If cooking meat with a high fat content, place thick onion slices underneath so meat will not sit on (and cook in) fat.
- Slow cookers allow for very little evaporation. If making your favorite soup, stew, or sauce, reduce liquid called for in original recipe. If too thick, liquid can be added later.
- If cooking a vegetable-type casserole, there will need to be liquid in the recipe to prevent scorching on the sides of the crock.
- If cooking soups or stews, leave a 2-inch (5.1-cm) space between the top of the crock and the food so that the recipe can come to a simmer.
Food Safety Tips
- Do not use frozen, uncooked meat in the slow cooker. Thaw any meat or poultry before slow cooking.
- To store leftovers after cooking, do NOT place the entire crock in the refrigerator since contents will take too long to cool. Instead, divide leftovers into smaller containers and place into refrigerator.
- Never allow undercooked or raw meat to sit at room temperature in the slow cooker. Once meat is placed into the crock, it should be cooked immediately (unless prepping slow cooker the night before, where crock should be placed into the refrigerator).
- Visit www.foodsafety.gov or fsis.usda.gov for more information on safe internal cooking temperatures.
Food is undercooked.
- Was food cooked on the KEEP WARM setting? Only cook on LOW or HIGH setting.
- Was power interrupted?
- Did you select the LOW heat setting, but used a cooking time based on the HIGH heat setting?
- Crock was overfilled. For best results, fill crock no more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the lid.
- Lid was not placed correctly. Check to make sure lid is seated
properly on the crock.
My meal was overcooked. Why?
- Foods will continue to increase in temperature after desired temperature has been reached. Check food when cooking time has been reached.
- Did you select the HIGH heat setting, but used a cooking time based on the LOW heat setting?
- Crock was less than half full. Check for doneness 1 to 2 hours earlier than recipe states.
The food isn’t done after cooking the amount of time recommended in my recipe.
- This can be due to voltage variations (which are commonplace everywhere) or altitude. The slight fluctuations in power do not have a noticeable effect on most appliances. However, they can alter the cooking times in the slow cooker by extending the cooking times. You will learn through experience if a shorter or longer time is needed.
This warranty applies to products purchased and used in the U.S. and Canada. This is the only express warranty for this product and is in lieu of any other warranty or condition.
This product is warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date of original purchase in Canada and one (1) year from the date of original purchase in the U.S. During this period, your exclusive remedy is repair or replacement of this product or any component found to be defective, at our option; however, you are responsible for all costs associated with returning the product to us and our returning a product or component under this warranty to you. If the product or component is no longer available, we will replace with a similar one of equal or greater value.
This warranty does not cover glass, filters, wear from normal use, use not in conformity with the printed directions, or damage to the product resulting from accident, alteration, abuse, or misuse. This warranty extends only to the original consumer purchaser or gift recipient. Keep the original sales receipt, as proof of purchase is required to make a warranty claim. This warranty is void if the product is used for other than single-family household use or subjected to any voltage and waveform other than as specified on the rating label (e.g., 120 V ~ 60 Hz).
liability is limited to the amount of the purchase price. Every implied warranty, including any statutory warranty or condition of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, is disclaimed except to the extent prohibited by law, in which case such warranty or condition is limited to the duration of this written warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have other legal rights that vary depending on where you live. Some states or provinces do not allow limitations on implied warranties or special, incidental, or consequential damages, so the foregoing limitations may not apply to you.
To make a warranty claim, do not return this appliance to the store. Please call 1.800.851.8900 in the U.S. or 1.800.267.2826 in Canada or visit hamiltonbeach.com in the U.S. or hamiltonbeach.ca in Canada. For faster service, locate the model, type, and series numbers on your appliance.
Download Manual PDF
Hamilton Beach 7 Qt. Portable Slow Cooker Serves
User Manual PDF Download